Deus ex Machina

Passing through unconscious states; when I awoke, I was on the highway.

Saturday, July 03, 2004

Alone with three dead bodies

My roommates went home for the weekend - unlike me, home for them would mean somewhere less than a thousand kilometers from here - and so, as always, I am spending my weekend alone. This time, though, I have three silent companions bundled up conveniently inside bright blue cylindrical bags, placed in various locations within the room (near the fire exit, under the microwave, under the T.V.) - one of which is Barry, the cat Julian and I skinned during class, with whom we will both undoubtedly be spending many more hours as we poke around his insides in the attempt to learn how they actually look like. I find it surprising how easily I've adjusted to the concept of examining dead animals. Although I wasn't squeamish as a kid, I never really had an interest in Biology, and I never considered dissection among the things I'd want to try doing. As far as I was concerned, dead animals belonged as far away from me as possible. What's strange is despite that general indifference I used to have, I'm actually starting to enjoy what I'm doing. And I've found myself anticipating dissecting actual human bodies, which we'll start doing around this time next year. Maybe it's because I've realized that examining the complexities of creation is one of the most concrete ways of learning about life in general, and me in particular, and might ultimately lead me closer to discovering who I am and why I exist.

Or maybe I just find it cool to cut things up and look inside them. Either way, it doesn't really matter.

2 Comments:

Blogger rald said...

hehe..yeah lyle. hope they kept you company. hahaha! our (Abe and me) cat's name is Halle, as in Halle Berry, the cat woman! meeeeooowwww...

nice no? hahaha! :P

12:50 PM  
Blogger Lyle said...

haha.nice name. yes, they did keep me company.they're very understanding, those three :-)

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home