Deus ex Machina

Passing through unconscious states; when I awoke, I was on the highway.

Wednesday, July 07, 2004

More than a little strange


It might not seem real, but that is the photo of an actual pregnant woman who allowed her body to be preserved and included in an exhibit called Body Worlds. I didn't want to believe it at first, but the image does look a lot like the color illustrations I've seen in medical books. I'm not exactly sure if the exhibit is legitimate or just made up, since I read about it from a site called Daily Rotten - News You Cannot Possibly Use.

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing the exhibit for myself, if it really does exist. The images I've seen so far look fascinating, although somewhat disgusting. But hey, it's not as if I won't be exposed to my share of dead human bodies. And from an academic point of view, the more of them I see, the better.

You really should see the photo of people showing only their blood vessels - that one I find harder to believe to be real. I've linked the article where I got the picture - click on the title of this post to read it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Joseph said...

hi lyle! haha. yep, body worlds is for real. ;) i saw their exhibit when they came over to singapore sometime last sem. something sort of CSI and ER made some 1000x more graphic. hehe. great educational stuff, but rather too RAW. i mean, there are exhibits of naked people, of naked people opened up in every which way, chopped up even, and some bodies were carved with what seemed to be "windows", so that the inner workings can be seen. (some exhibits were designed to only show a specific body system kasi.) but ultimately cool. there were pregnant women exhibits too, but i don't remember the unborn kid as big as THAT. or baka bago. anyway, take care!

5:21 AM  
Blogger Joseph said...

i checked the url pala. yep, that's the one we saw. so i can gurantee that it's all legit. i mean, even if it's from rotten.com. hehe.

5:26 AM  
Blogger Lyle said...

well, that's good to hear, i think. i'm glad to hear that it's not made up, but well, it does offend my sensibilities a bit. still, it does have a specific educational purpose. you were lucky to see it. :)

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home