Deus ex Machina

Passing through unconscious states; when I awoke, I was on the highway.

Friday, September 24, 2004

In the sun

After spending quite some time studying the basics of making a decent-looking web page, I was finally able to come up with a design I wanted. I just updated my blogger template and I'm pleased with the outcome. This is the third look of my blogspot. The other two were designs made by other people, so this is a first. To Joseph: I copied the javascript on your site that operates the show-hide function of your sidebar, I hope you don't mind. I simplified it a bit, and I'm still trying to work out a minor glitch.

I've been feeling out of sorts lately. When I woke up from an evening nap a while ago, I remembered this song I heard from Saved!, a movie I recently watched and really liked.

It's called In the Sun, and it's by Joseph Arthur. Here are the lyrics.

I picture you in the sun, wondering what went wrong. And falling down on your knees, asking for sympathy. And being caught in between all you wish for and all you've seen. And trying to find anything you can feel that you can believe in. May God's love be with you. Always, may God's love be with you.

I know I would apologize if I could see your eyes. Because when you showed me myself, I became someone else. But I was caught in between all you wish for and all you need. I picture you fast asleep. A nightmare comes, you can't keep awake. May God's love be with you. Always, may God's love be with you.

If I find my own way, how much will I find?

I don't know anymore, what it's for. I'm not even sure if there is anyone who is in the sun. Will you help me to understand? Because I've been caught in between all I wish for and all I need. Maybe you're not even sure what it's for any more than me. May God's love be with you. Always, may God's love be with you.


Late this afternoon, inside the PGH compound, I was approached by a man named Timothy. He invited me to a one-on-one Bible study session. I agreed, and we ended up talking about the story of Noah, and the tower of Babel. He said that Noah was righteous in God's eyes because he was obedient. He said that God was always in control. I couldn't let him know that I did not agree with him. He sounded so sincere.

Afterwards, I walked with him part of the way back to my building. He said he was headed for the Cancer Institute, and he explained why. I was a bit confused because his voice wasn't very clear and he referred to his brother as 'her' instead of 'him', but from what I gathered, his three-year-old brother had liver cancer but according to him, God was taking care of things.

When we parted ways, he said "God bless." I said "Okay," and walked away. I have no idea why, but at that moment, I did not feel any sympathy for him.

I realized today that I have only just discovered what it means to be lonely.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently saw the movie saved and it was wonderful, dealing with many problems encountered not only by christian psychos but "ordinary" people as well. The song in the sun is beautiful as well and there is also a rewrite performed by peter gabriel for princess diana. Until later anonymous.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Adrian said...

Isn't God always in control by definition? Anyway, it seems to me that God does not really wish to interfere with our universe in any significant way, though it must be a comfort for those under duress to believe that God is watching over them.

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you leave a message in joseph's blog when you copied the javascript? or did you just post it here? it was not joseph who did the javascript you know? some friend of his who definitely will make much noise when he hears this.

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just searching for lyrics to the song, and your blog came up.
I was just searching for lyrics to a song I was sure no one had heard of, and i found something so true it broke my heart. In the future, leave a disclaimer. "All those who do not wish to know the truth, do not read". Some of us can't take it you see.

2:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home