Deus ex Machina

Passing through unconscious states; when I awoke, I was on the highway.

Monday, April 12, 2004

Holy

Yesterday was Easter Sunday and I went to mass for the first time in three months. It took a little longer than usual. The priest had this Presbyterian from Norway profess his faith along with the rest of us and that was supposed to convert him into a Catholic. The priest asked everyone to give him a round of applause afterwards. I didn't. In my head I was wondering why on earth anyone would want to convert to the Catholic faith.

When I was studying in a Catholic school, masses and other religious services were imposed on us regularly. When the time came to recite the profession of faith (I believe in God, the father almighty, etc.) I couldn't allow myself to include the phrase 'the holy Catholic church'. I just didn't believe in it.

What I hate most about the Church is that it used to be a worldly, power-hungry institution that opressed the masses (the giving of indulgences and the Spanish Inquisition were acts of pure evil) and if there is anything I hate, it's someone, or something, that's oppressive and power-hungry. Even today, when the Church has made feeble attempts at making things right, I still observe priests and many self-righteous lay people acting exactly like the Pharisees Jesus so passionately condemned. I don't mean to say that the Church teaches people to act that way, but since a Church is supposed to be a community, I'd rather not be a part of it. Also, I agree with Martin Luther on many counts (like the issue on the adoration of Mary) and though I am not a Protestant, I very certainly do not want to be Catholic.

I agree that no religious denomination is perfect, which is why I prefer not to align myself with any and I consider myself a plain Christian. I read the Bible and I believe in Christ. I don't put any worth on tradition because Christ didn't either.

With that issue settled, my faith went on a roller coaster ride these past two weeks. I thought I got over my issues but now they're still here. I think, though, that I'll be able to deal with them in my own time and I don't need to convert denominations to put my mind to rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home