Deus ex Machina

Passing through unconscious states; when I awoke, I was on the highway.

Thursday, July 29, 2004

Good fortune

I still haven't fully digested the idea, but I am all set to fly home for the weekend - except that I haven't yet started packing, but that's a minor detail I'll deal with later. I'd already mentioned that my roommates spend most weekends in their own homes, and this had always made me feel a bit jealous. I never really considered the idea myself - not seriously, anyway.

It began on a whim. My sister's birthday is on the 31st, she wanted me to be around during the celebration (which would, of course, take place in Davao), and I wanted to be there. So we told our parents about our little idea and predictably, they said no. They didn't really have to explain anything - I knew it was out of the question. In the first place, leaving for even a weekend might cause me to screw up my academics, and god forbid that ever happens. Also, from a pragmatic point of view, buying a round trip ticket to spend a little more than a day back home would just be a waste of money. To complicate matters, I found out I had an exam scheduled for this Friday and another one on Saturday.

Still, I wanted to return to Davao badly. Ever since I arrived here at the start of the semester, I hated the thought of having to spend five whole months away. And that's just what would happen had fortune not decided to smile on me. But wonder of wonders, I got a call from my dad last night - it turns out he had already bought me a ticket and he wanted to know if I could come. I was prepared to decline, actually, because of the exams I had scheduled for Friday and Saturday. But then I remembered that both exams, for reasons I couldn't care less about, had actually been postponed, making me free for the weekend. At that moment, I wanted to jump up and down and do cartwheels. I was going home.

I just came from the airline ticketing office. I booked my ticket for an afternoon flight tomorrow. And boy, am I glad I'm leaving. Even for just a weekend.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow lyle, ang saya! makakauwi ka! gusto ko na rin umuwi... say hi to davao for me. hehehe! enjoy ur stay there! =)

angelica

8:40 AM  
Blogger Lyle said...

I will, thanks :)

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home