Deus ex Machina

Passing through unconscious states; when I awoke, I was on the highway.

Friday, February 06, 2004

Smooth

Tuesday night I went to Malate with Elaine, Gerald and Louie, all IMED friends. It was the first time I spent my night out there. Which should actually be surprising: though I live in Ermita, Malate is just a short walk away. I went out with the specific purpose of getting myself drunk. I had never been drunk in my life. My past alcohol intake has been very minimal. I wanted to know what it would feel like.

It was a small place, with tables placed close together around a dance floor. Loud pulsating music. People smoking. Dark, with colored lights moving around. I told myself I wouldn't dance. I didn't care to. Besides, when we got there, no one was dancing yet, except for this girl that I was told was getting paid for it. She was supposed to be there to 'encourage' people when no one wanted to dance. I don't think she was doing her job very well, though. She didn't encourage me, anyway. It was around 10:30 pm. We spent some time waiting for our orders (I ordered a mocha shake for starters) and after a while Elaine, Gerald, and Louie started dancing around with only the girl I mentioned for company and I had fun watching them have fun. They tried to make me join them once or twice and after a while I thought, what the heck, I've got nothing to lose so I went out there and it was okay. But I thought it would be better if I got a little drunk first so I ordered two beers and waited for awhile.

I do not like the taste of beer. Maybe alcohol in general. But I can sort of stand red wine, which is the only other alcoholic drink I've tried except for white wine and vodka(I think). I was determined to get drunk, though, and I didn't really start gagging or anything. I got through the two beers. I spilled a little I think. I started getting a little tipsy and getting the urge to pee every few minutes. I danced a few more times, and started getting more comfortable with it. I do not know whether to credit that to alcohol or just my improving mood. I had another beer. My head felt a little heavy (Elaine said that was a sign) and I waited for myself to blank out and lose control. It didn't happen. I was in perfect control of my faculties, albeit a bit unsteady on my feet. But I could remember everything. And my memory was one continuous flow until around 3 am when we decided to leave.

I'm not entirely sure whether I accomplished my purpose that night. I might have gotten drunk but most probably didn't. I'd rather not repeat it though. I had a 'hangover' the next day (whatever it was it wasn't a very nice experience) I figured that that plus the awful taste would cancel out the 'happy feeling' drinking brought, which in all likelihood might have just been a mood swing in itself.

Regardless of all that, I had fun with my IMED friends and I might want to repeat the experience (sans drinking) in the near future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home