Deus ex Machina

Passing through unconscious states; when I awoke, I was on the highway.

Monday, February 09, 2004

I Think I'm Happy

My day started out all right. A 7 am class (Biology) and I wasn't even late. I had breakfast at the AS canteen like I usually do on my M-Th schedule. I was even in good enough humor to scribble some notes about plant cells - nothing taxing. And our teacher entertained us with stories about trees. And showed us a picture. Yes, trees can actually be interesting. I was content to listen and take random notes and think about a play we were having in the evening. After that was Zoology and apart from falling asleep in between the period I did well enough.



Chemistry at 11.30 was a different story. I didn't bother to follow what our dear teacher was saying. I was getting tired of hearing her voice. I quietly slipped out as she started one of her long, complicated, I'm-talking-to-myself-and-not-you lectures and spent a third of the period making visuals for a report for Chemistry Lab, which was right after her class. I've done this (sneaked out) a couple of times before and she's never noticed, bless her tiny heart. When I got back, I tuned myself out to her monologue and wrote random song lyrics on a scrap of paper.



Chemistry Lab was distressing. My group was in charge of handing out and returning materials from the stock room and instead of being able to finish early and get ready for the play like I expected, we had to wait while our classmates repeated a tedious experiment to get the expected results (they didn't) which caused a bit of a delay. When we brought back the items to the stock room, we discovered that a graduated cylinder was missing. I still can't figure out how it could have just dissapeared. And the thought of a petty pyrex glassware thief in our class is just plain creepy.



Anyway.



We got ready for the play. I was supposed to be this mime-looking guy. So they decided to put white poster paint on my face. My face did not like being treated like a poster. At first I felt all right but then my face started burning. A couple of minutes spent in front of a working air conditioner dealt with it though. And off we went to the Class 1972 Theater to compete with four other batches of Med students. We were fourth to present. The first two classes did comedies. Ours was a serious drama. With a touch of the absurd. Hence the mime-looking guy (my character was called Kapighatian, and along with other imaginary beings I was supposed to drive the main character to despair). After the second presentation we went outside and got ourselves ready. And then it began.



There were a few accidents. I won't mention them here. But I was happy with the way the play turned out in the end. Funny, though. We purposely left out humor in our play. But the Med people laughed a few times (Med people meaning those already in Med proper). And they acted strangely. In fact, I always seem to think there's something strange about them. And being around them makes me feel uneasy.



Oh well.



We didn't win, as expected. But we had fun. Took some photos. Yelled a lot (most in frustration). We had dinner in the Pit, this eating place on Pedro Gil. And we made noise. And had more fun. Then we went home. I thought sadly that our brief period of camaraderie and class unity had ended. But the event proved that we could do something productive together as a class and have lots of fun in the process.



Back in the dorm, I played three games of chess with Ants, the director and scriptwriter of our play. We often have these after-class-or-some-other-activity games. We watched some of the Grammy Awards. Then Ants went home. And I started writing here.



Strange. I don't know why I suddenly had the urge to give a summary of my day. Maybe because this isn't my usual ho-hum kind of day. And that for some unknown reason I happen to think I'm happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home